APSC Question Paper
APSC Combined Competitive Examination (Mains)
Year – 2015
Full Marks: 300
Time: 3 hours
(1) Answer any ten (10) questions from the following in about 200 words each:
- What were the main features of provincial autonomy? What are its limitations? 8+8=16
- What do you mean by the ‘Look East Policy’? How will it enhance India’s development policy? 8+8=16
- What do you mean by judicial activism? Cite some examples of judicial high-handedness in the Indian context. 8+8=16
- What is the necessity of the Lok Pal Bill? How will it benefit the masses? 8+8=16
- Trace the circumstances leading to the treaty off Yandaboo (1826). Why is it regarded as a major landmark in the history of Assam? 12+4=16
- Write the chief teaching of Lord Buddha. How far was Buddhism a reform movement within Hinduism? 10+6=16
- Summarise the causes of rapid population growth in India. Examine its impact on the economy of the country. 8+8=16
- Explain the problem of river pollution in India with a focus on Ganga river pollution. Suggest some measures to control river pollution in the country. 10+6=16
- What is decentralized planning? Examine its advantages. 6+10=16
- What are the significant achievements of Five Year Plans in India? Discuss the factors which have inhibited the successful implementation of plans. 6+10=16
- Discuss about the civilization of the ‘Gupta Era’. Why the ‘Gupta Era’ is called the ‘Golden era’ of India? 8+8=16
- What is Swacch Bharat Abhiyan? Discuss about ways and means how this campaign can b developed into a sustainable one in the coming days. 8+8=16
- Discuss the salient features of US, China climate Accord. What were the agreements made by both the countries? 8+8=16
- Write a note on the role played by internet in India in digital banking and Computer Aided Learning (CAL). 8+8=16
- How do the Indian monsoons originate? Describe the impact of monsoons on Indian culture and economy with relevant examples. 6+10=16
(2) Answer any five (5) questions from the following in about 100 words each:
- What do you mean by biomass? Discuss the significance of biomass as a non conventional source of energy in India. 2+6=8
- Write a short account on the problems of development of tourism industry in the North-East India. 8
- (i) What is a geostationary satellite? Describe the first geostationary satellite launched by ISRO and its major achievement. (ii) National Science Day is celebrated every year on 28th February. Describe the discovery with which this day is related. 4+4=8
- What are the main causes for the downfall of the Mauryan Empire? How far was Ashoka responsible for it? 4+4=8
- Give a brief account of ‘Namghar’ and ‘Manikut’ of Assamese society. 4+4=8
- Discuss the 52nd amendment of the Indian Constitution. What are its limitations? 4+4=8
- When was the 12th five year plan launched? What were its main objectives? 4+4=8
- Explain the problems faced by the electricity sector of India. 8
(3) Answer any eight (8) questions from the following in about 50 words each:
- Discuss the reasons for the tremendous growth witnessed in the passenger car sector in India. 5
- Briefly explain the role of Remote sensing in the development and natural resources in India. 5
- The sun rises two hours earlier in Arunachal Pradesh as compared to Gujarat in the west, but the watches show the same time. Explain the fact. 5
- Discuss how Human Development Index is computed. 5
- What are the functions of the North East Council (NEC)? 5
- In which part of our country ‘Pongal’ is celebrated. Mention its significance. 2+3=5
- Write a note on NITI Ayog. 5
- What are the effects of the British rule in Assam? 5
- Give a short note on Fahien’s Account of India. 5
- What is insulin? Why is it important in relation to one’s health? 2+3=5
- Briefly discuss about the concept of Smart Cities envisaged by the present Union Government. 5
- What is meant by the credit rating of a country and how is this determined? 2+3=5
(4) Answer any thirty (30) questions from the following briefly: 2×30=60
- What is ‘micro-credit’?
- When was the Reserve Bank of India established and who is its current Governor?
- Which are the countries connected by Stilwel road?
- What are WTO and GATT?
- What is Repo Rate?
- Mention the names of two renewable energy sources of India.
- What is cash reserve ratio (CRR) and who controls it in India?
- What is organic farming?
- What do you mean by black soil zone of India?
- Explain what you mean by Coromandal Coast.
- What is horse latitude?
- What is rainforest?
- Mention two major goals of the tenth five year plan of India.
- What is decentralized planning?
- What is Rolling Plan?
- Write what you know about Ajan Fakir.
- What is ‘Zero’ hour?
- What is an industrial corridor?
- Mention two main features of national income of India.
- What is Micro Finance?
- Write briefly what you mean by East-West corridor.
- State the geographical significance of Bhutan as a buffer state.
- State the importance of 8th March.
- Write briefly about Rani Lakshmi Bai.
- What is Biodiesel?
- Write briefly about Seismograph and its applications.
- What is the difference between CNG and LPG?
- Which is the largest fresh-water lake in India? Describe its location.
- Which is the ‘largest indigenously-built Warship of the country and where was it constructed?
- Which invention was chosen for Nobel Prize in Physics for the year 2014 and who were the inventors?
- Name the boxer who won the gold medal in Women’s fly weight boxing competition of the 17th Asian games and her state of origin.
- In March 2014 India was officially declared free of a virus. Name the virus and who declared it free?
- Who won the Pulitzer Prize in the year 2014 and for what work did he/she win it?
- What is H1N1?
- Explain what you mean by ‘Global Warming’.