Updated Post – 31/05/2018
There are Thousands of Books which are available , but the choice of the right Books while preparing for any Assam Government Exam is most important as some of them are not accurate or not containing the exact Content and usually Aspirants get confused while comparing with other books available on certain topic which aspirants need and so before picking the books you can read my personal opinion and review on these books. Apsc Books
Here i have list out below some of the important and recommended APSC books having good reviews from toppers which have help them to achieve their success. And for you just picking up the right book and keeping them in your bookshelf will not achieve your success. To that, for making your life colourful and earning respect and dignity, definitely hardwork is utmost required, so set your goal, make your time table and start preparing for your exams before it is too late for you to realise it. Simultaneously you also check the Previous year APSC question papers an Other Important Assam Government Examination Question Papers to boost your strategy. APSC books
Although i have listed out below the most important static books which are chosen by toppers to crack their Exam whether ACS/APS/IAS/IPS/Banking/ Any State Government Exams, but my personal strategy would be also to study dynamically as there are plenty of resources available in the internet, but this is not for the last minute preparation. For Current Affairs Polity and Current Events I would recommend you to read The Hindu Newspaper & Assam Tribune Daily and pick out the important points and note down it in your notebook .Also i will suggest you to buy a good monthly Magazine and the most important is to digest the NCERT Books from Class 6-10 and for Class 11-12 in selective manner.
Here are the list below for some of the Important books but pick it out selectively based on your needs but before picking them out i will like you to read my personal opinion on these books.
2. Get APSC Books
Indian Polity APSC Books
Indian History APSC Books
Assam History APSC Books
Indian Economy APSC Books
Indian Culture APSC Books
Geography APSC Books
1. India 2018
Reasoning APSC Books
General Studies Paper for Civil Service
Books on Previous Question Papers
Personal Opinion by Author of AssamGk.Com for APSC Exam
After analysing certain books, my personal choice and review of the books for General Studies for preparing Assam Public Service Commission Exam based on the current syllabus will be as follows:
- Indian Polity by LAXMIKANT (It is must and you can call it as a handbook for polity, very easy to study and also written in brief. Almost 70-80 % questions for polity will come from this book and I will definitely recommend to every aspirants and atleast 2-3 revision is compulsory for this book, just eat it, drink it or whatever you can do just go for it and have it from any source.
- Can also go for NCERT Books from Class (6- 12)
- For Current Affairs Polity I would like you to read The Hindu Newspaper & Assam Tribune Daily and prepare notes from them by picking the important points such as polices affecting government sections, issues relating to Indian Constitution, Legislative and Administrative Processes and also issues relating on national and international importance but don’t go for political matters as if they are unworthy from the exam point of view.
2. For History APSC Books
- For Ancient History and Medieval History I will suggest, better to go for NCERT Books from Class 6-10 with some good youtube videos and for Modern History along with NCERT Books I Suggest to pick the book named “History of Modern India by Bipan Chandra” and also Spectrum’s A Brief History of Modern India by Rajiv Ahir. Book by Bipan Chandra is written in details and is basically required for mains but for prelims “Spectrum’s Book by Rajiv Abiv” is must and also is written in brief and point wise along with some good Youtube Videos and other than that no other materials is required to follow from the exam point of view.
- For Assam History Book by Sir Edward Gait named as “History of Assam” is must but it is very boring as it is written just like a novel so my strategy will be to study dynamically by doing google search on the content and prepare notes on them and indirectly maximum source will be the works of Sir Edward Gait.
3. For Economy APSC Books
- For Indian Economy just go for the most popular book by Sanjiv Verma – “The Indian Economy” but pick the new edition. You can also go for the book by Ramesh Singh – “Indian Economy” (New Edition) but is also bit boring as it is written in very details but of-course it is a good one and so I suggest you better pick Sanjiv Verma’s Book – “The Indian Economy” and also you can go through NCERT Books.
- For Economic Survey always study the latest Edition India 2018 will be a good one published by Government of India and is very very important from Exam point of view as questions are seen to be ask very frequently in prelims as well as in mains and is also important for Interview.
4. For Geography APSC Books
- Both the book “Geography of India – by Majid Husain” and “Certificate Physical And Human Geography – by Goh Cheng Leong” are a good one and aspirants can pick any one from this two. In book by Goh Cheng Leong all the topics are well written specially the physical geography part, it makes your theoretical background strong and is also very important from exam point of view. But I think this book needs an update as some contents are obsolete, whereas as the theoretical knowledge will be the same so this book is very good and many civil service aspirants use to pick and recommend it. Comparing with the book by Majid Husain, this book is updated and all the topics are covered and also the Indian Geography part is well written and so I will like to pick this book. For Physical Geography part you can also go through Class 11 NCERT book and for Indian Geography part Class 12 NCERT Book. Other than this an Atlas is must to make your base strong and obviously without going through Youtube videos, you will find geography a very boring and so Youtube Videos are must for clearing your doubts and will also make this subject very interesting.
5. For Art and Culture APSC Books
- For Art and Culture a book named “Indian Art and Culture – by Nitin Singhania” is a very good one as it covers all the important aspects of Indian Art and Culture and is more than enough for exam purpose. But for Assam Culture more Study is required and so I suggest to do google search and prepare notes on them.
6. For Environmental & Ecology
For Environmental Studies i personally like to study dynamically along-with the book named Environmental Studies – by R. Rajagopalan as it covers all the basics of environment, climate change , ecology and biodiversity in very clear manner and easy to understand.
7. For General English APSC Books
- For English if you really want to make your vocabulary strong then I will suggest just go for the popular book name “Word Power Made Easy – by Norman Lewis”. It really makes a strong foundation on your vocabulary, makes you feel confidence to speak English, which is very important from exam point of view as well as interview. I will say you must read this book everyday. Coming to the point for Comprehension and Grammer all the books listed above are good one. Book by Arun Sharma is a good one, book by Neetu Singh is a good one and book by S.P. Bakshi is also a good one and so you can pick any one of them based on your needs. For Error correction book “A Mirror Of Common Errors – by Dr Ashok Kumar Singh” is a good one.
8. For Reasoning and Quantitative Aptitude
- For Reasoning and Aptitude all the books listed above are important and good one but my personal choice for Aptitude will be a book by author Sarvesh K. Verma for Banking as well as for civil service exams. Don’t go for R.S Agarwal ( Although it is a good book) but because as of now the competition level is very high and the quality of the questions in R.S Agarwal is quite easy but is a good book for beginners and so i suggest to go for the book by Sarvesh K. Verma for Quantitative Aptitude and if i would have rate it then i will give 9 out of 10 .
- For Reasoning you can go for the book by B.S. Sijwalii which is good one and the level of the questions are also quite good and especially for Puzzles a book by author K. Kundan is a good one.
So, these are all about some important books and suggestion which will be my personal strategy and here I want to add one more point that, many of will recommend you to take an All-in-one/Guide book for General Studies paper, and so you can go for it but personally I will not recommend it, as reading those books you can’t find and build the concept and ultimately you have to do a google search and so for me, i will better prefer to choose and go for separate books instead of sticking to one.
Lastly for Prelims as it will be a objective based question and in case if you have less time to prepare then do smart study and for that I suggest you to take Lucent’s General Knowledge or you can also take Arihant’s General Knowledge 2019 and a book published by Government of India named as India 2018 in necessary which covers the Economic Survey part. Try to solve previous year question paper as much as you can. Time management is very important as you have to cover up your syllabus and revision is compulsory, if you are confused and stuck on a certain topic, then just skip that.
So my best wishes are always with you and hope you find your dream job.